About Me

My photo
Hammersmith, London, United Kingdom
I'm a director of Maidenhead United Football Club. For ten seasons one of my roles at the club was to produce the match programme. The aim of this blog was to write football related articles for publication in the match programme. In particular I like to write about the representation of football in popular culture, specifically music, film/TV and literature. I also write about matches I attend which generally feature Maidenhead United.

Sunday 9 October 2022

 All Aboard the Binfield Bus

An account of my first trip to Binfield in December 2021

“Happiness is a journey not a destination”, is a phrase that oftens runs through my head as I travel home from a Maidenhead United defeat, something that is happening with worrying frequency at present. The journey in question could be metaphorical, an improved performance filling me up with optimism for brighter days ahead. More often than not though, the journey is genuinely a highlight. Not only a chance to raise hopes that might not be dashed, but also the opportunity to relax after the working week, sitting back to take in the scenery.

The latter aspect is enhanced because as a Londoner I travel exclusively on public transport and can therefore look out of the window at the passing countryside as I head to watch the Magpies play at all points of the compass.

On the final weekend of November I found myself at a loose end as COVID had claimed the fixture at York Road. Knowing I was staying in Reading on the Friday night I scanned the fixture list for a local alternative and settled on a first ever trip to Binfield for their FA Trophy tie against Truro. I roped in a couple of other Reading based Mags to join me, one of whom pointed out the Moles seemingly inaccessible location to anyone without a car.

Always eager to solve any public transport challenge, and with the fall back that a taxi from the nearest station could be shared three ways, I scanned online maps for any other options and much to my surprise found a bus stop on Church Lane, adjacent to the turn off for Stubbs Lane. Further research on Thames Valley Buses excellent website found this to be on the route of the 151A service which although infrequent, ran at convenient times either side of the first and final whistle at Hilltop Lane. Its starting point at Wokingham provided a better connection with the train out of Reading and thus my friends and I found ourselves in the town’s excellent new micro brewery, the Outhouse for a pre match pint, where we mused that accessibility by public transport should be a league requirement for all football grounds.

A short walk to the Broad Street stop was followed by a similarly short wait for our carriage, the bus arriving on time. After a somewhat circuitous route around some local suburbs we passed under the A329(M) and skirted round Bracknell before bearing north to Binfield. Signs of civilization were fast running out as we headed towards St Andrews Church with only one other passenger onboard. As we turned right into Church Lane, his presence proved crucial as he asked the driver where the next stop was, to which the reply came that there wasn’t one but he could stop anywhere. Although this meant we were dropped off at Stubbs Lane this left the matter of the return with the driver assuring us we could just wave the driver down on what would by then be a very dark country lane.

Wandering up the drive to the ground, we were asked the somewhat incongruous question about the availability of a car park by a passing driver, before heading into the Moles HQ. I was very impressed by the ground, the well appointed club house being designed in sympathy with keeping spectators warm whilst watching the match from inside. In a veritable game of two halves, the visitors eased into a three goal lead at the interval and could indeed have been further ahead, however Binfield valiantly fought back in the second half and were only denied a deserved draw when a late penalty hit the crossbar.   

Fortunately the post match bus stop lottery was avoided when a friend offered us a lift back. Maybe the Moles next capital project should be the installation of bus stops on Church Lane to go with their splendid homemade signs to the ground.


No comments: