About Me

My photo
Hammersmith, London, United Kingdom
I'm a director of Maidenhead United Football Club. For ten seasons one of my roles at the club was to produce the match programme. The aim of this blog was to write football related articles for publication in the match programme. In particular I like to write about the representation of football in popular culture, specifically music, film/TV and literature. I also write about matches I attend which generally feature Maidenhead United.

Friday 31 May 2013

Frauleins beat men to Euro glory

Stamford Bridge provided the location for a fitting end to my football season at the Women's UEFA Champions League Final. Having enjoyed the corresponding fixture two years ago at Craven Cottage, the fact that admission was doubled to £10 was not a problem as I went to see if Olympique Lyonnais could win a third successive final against Vfl Wolfsburg,
However the evening was a pretty anodyne experience compared to that at homely Fulham, an impression which was formed as soon as I was greeted by a phalanx of five bouncers and signs informing me of football prices at the local Wetherspoons. 
A crowd approaching 20,000 gathered at the Bridge to watch a tense affair with the French meriting their favourites tag throughout, the winger of two years ago Louisa Necib controlling the game from the middle of the pitch. They were unable to break down the German defence though, Wolfsburg maintaining a breakaway threat throughout and once they had weathered an early second half storm, Martina Muller took advantage of a generous penalty award to score what proved to be the winning goal from the penalty spot.

No comments: