About Me

My photo
Hammersmith, London, United Kingdom
I'm a director of Maidenhead United Football Club. For ten seasons one of my roles at the club was to produce the match programme. The aim of this blog was to write football related articles for publication in the match programme. In particular I like to write about the representation of football in popular culture, specifically music, film/TV and literature. I also write about matches I attend which generally feature Maidenhead United.

Thursday 7 April 2011

New Year's Eve

Oh To Be In England In The Summertime
A silver lining to the cloud of the defeat at Lewes last weekend was the thought that within seven days time the English cricket season would have started. Disregarding the football equivalent of the Charity Shield (MCC v Champion County) as its now played in Dubai (how soon before EPL follows suit?) the County Championship season starts tomorrow, a fact timely marked by the arrival of the 64th edition of the Playfair Cricket Annual through my letterbox today. This will be well thumbed before it joins its 63 predecessors on my bookshelf. So its off to Lords next week to watch Middlesex's first match (membership/season ticket still as cheap as one for York Road) whilst also dusting off my kit ready for the start of my 25th season playing for Pinkneys Green, where for the first time ever we have a shirt sponsor.

No comments: