About Me

My photo
Hammersmith, London, United Kingdom
I'm a director of Maidenhead United Football Club. For ten seasons one of my roles at the club was to produce the match programme. The aim of this blog was to write football related articles for publication in the match programme. In particular I like to write about the representation of football in popular culture, specifically music, film/TV and literature. I also write about matches I attend which generally feature Maidenhead United.

Thursday 14 April 2011

Good Immigration?

As David Cameron delivered his immigration speech, presumably direct from the set of Midsomer Murders, the Middle Saxons were taking on the East Saxons in the home team's opening County Championship match of the season at Lords. I wondered what his views are on the Saxon invasion are, good immigration or bad?
Despite the chilly air I steeled myself to go along to the afternoon session on Day One armed with a large flask of tea and a somewhat smaller one of rum. Arriving at the lunchtime score of 111-2 I settled down in the Warner stand upper tier to see David Masters and Reece Topley finish off the Middlesex top five. 
Eventually discovered Topley is the scion of Don, former Essex player who had his fifteen minutes of fame at Lords when used as a substitute by England in 1984 in the Blackwash series against the West Indies.  Seem to remember he made a catch which was then nullified by a no ball call but my new Playfair annual had no details of Topley senior or junior.
Finding the warming results of tea laced with rum to be beneficial I then sat back to watch Berg and Simpson repair the damage with a stand of 66 before in typical fashion both fell just ahead of the tea interval, when I left too, hopefully to return tomorrow morning to salute Ashes hero Alistair Cook as he walks to the crease to continue Essex's innings which overnight stood at a 0-0 in response to Middlesex's 277 all out.

No comments: