About Me

My photo
Hammersmith, London, United Kingdom
I'm a director of Maidenhead United Football Club. For ten seasons one of my roles at the club was to produce the match programme. The aim of this blog was to write football related articles for publication in the match programme. In particular I like to write about the representation of football in popular culture, specifically music, film/TV and literature. I also write about matches I attend which generally feature Maidenhead United.

Sunday, 6 October 2013

Kabba Kabba Hey!

With both clubs somewhat disappointed to exit the FA Cup to Conference North opposition last week, Maidenhead United and Havant & Waterlooville sought to get their league season going again yesterday, with the Magpies having slumped after a good start whilst the Hawks without an away win this term.
That the Hawks prevailed was due to their superior team work with a dash of flair from Sahr Kabba. Maidenhead's injury woes continued with the withdrawal of Elvijs Putnins and thus with his replacement Matt Pegler making his debut and re-signing Alfie Dawson pairing up with Curtis Ujah in the centre of defence for the first time, Havant were quickly able to stamp their superiority on the game and bar a period in the first half always looked most likely to win.
Just when Maidenhead looked like they had survived the opening period, Kabba sprinted round full back Leon Solomon then cut inside to score with a ferocious shot. United struck back somewhat surprisingly soon after when a Danny Green shot was too hot to handle for Hawks man mountain goalkeeper Scott Bevan, Michael Malcolm dispatching the loose ball into the net for his first goal for the Magpies.
Malcolm almost doubled his tally approaching half time when he latched onto a lovely through ball from Reece Tison-Lascaris to hit the target from a tight angle only for Bevan to just get enough of a hand on the shot to turn the ball around the post.
Loan signing Lee Angol capped a disappointing debut up front when he was booked before the interval, an incident which proved to be his last involvement in the game as he was substituted for Harry Pritchard at the break. This move saw Danny Green move into the front line but the winger had hardly time to make an impact before Havant re-took the lead with a goal that summed up Maidenhead's afternoon.
The second half view from skirmish corner
The Magpies had struggled to retain the ball throughout the game and now this was to have disastrous consequences as Scott Jones dispossessed Bobby Behzadi on the half way line and hared off in pursuit of a goal, unselfishly squaring the ball to Kabba in the penalty area to score.
Havant then threatened to run riot with Perry Ryan putting the ball over with an open goal begging, and a Dennis Oli being tipped over the bar by Pegler. Just when United thought they had weathered the storm the death knell sounded when Havant were awarded a penalty which Steve Ramsey scored.
In the remaining time Pegler saved well to deny Kabba a hat trick and sub Jones a goal, whilst Bevan ensured there would be no way back for United pushing a Green shot round the post after a mazy run.
All in all another disappointing afternoon for the Magpies with the early season pep and verve all but lost as a result of personnel changes. At least there will be an extra chance for the new faces to gel with the squad to create a more fluid performance with Tuesday night's County Cup tie against Slough being pushed back to next weekend.

No comments: