About Me

My photo
Hammersmith, London, United Kingdom
I'm a director of Maidenhead United Football Club. For ten seasons one of my roles at the club was to produce the match programme. The aim of this blog was to write football related articles for publication in the match programme. In particular I like to write about the representation of football in popular culture, specifically music, film/TV and literature. I also write about matches I attend which generally feature Maidenhead United.

Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Foggy Notion

I was determined to attend the Tuesday night game at York Road and was rewarded with a spirited performance by the Magpies, earning the first point I had seen them win since September 7th having missed the other three league draws in this period.
As the train pulled into Maidenhead station there was the unusual sight of some fog rolling across the pitch, nothing to trouble the referee and the first thought which came to mind was that the Chelmsford ultras had been a bit premature in unhooking their pyro.
Walking up the drive the presence of a supporters coach confirmed that indeed City had travelled in good numbers for a Tuesday night match in December and the fog seemed to be initially something of a local phemomenon.
Drax unveiled yet another formation for the first home game in over a month, this time returning to the 4-2-3-1 used in past seasons. This meant there was room for both Harry Pritchard and Danny Green, and both wingers were to go on and play a key role in the game.
An open game ensued from the first whistle in damp conditions, Chelmsford taking the lead in the thirteenth minute when Luke Callendar headed in a free kick. On first impression this looked like a foul on goalkeeper Elvijs Putnins, such is the stringency referees apply to physical contact on the number 1 but the man in the middle waved away the protests of the Maidenhead players, and on reflection perhaps the Latvian custodian should have put in a stronger challenge.
Maidenhead soon played their way back into the game with the best moves being channelled through Green displaying his early season form. Midway through the first half Green had a shot from distance tipped over the crossbar and from the resulting corner Jacob Erskine also hit the woodwork.
United got a just reward for their attacking endeavour eleven minutes after the restart when Green dashed down the inside right channel before pinging in a perfect cross behind the defensive line which was met by Pritchard at the far post to score.
Adrian Clifton came closest to winning the game when his long shot was tipped around the post but as the final whistle drew nearer concerns shifted from the destination of the three points to whether the game would finish as the fog slowly got thicker. 
As the far goal disappeared from view visibility shrunk to the halfway line, with a stoppage for an injury in the Maidenhead half leading supporters to wonder if the game had indeed been stopped such was the lack of visual information from the pitch. However the referee to his credit ensured the match was played to a finish with stoppage time, and with honours even no one could complain about the outcome.

No comments: