About Me

My photo
Hammersmith, London, United Kingdom
I'm a director of Maidenhead United Football Club. For ten seasons one of my roles at the club was to produce the match programme. The aim of this blog was to write football related articles for publication in the match programme. In particular I like to write about the representation of football in popular culture, specifically music, film/TV and literature. I also write about matches I attend which generally feature Maidenhead United.

Saturday 18 August 2012

Sid Sings...

The commentary of the late Sid Waddell was music to my ears. A man at ease with both his working class roots and academic achievements listening to Sid describe the darts was a joy to behold, liberally peppering his view of the action on the oche with references from classical civilisation. Here are some of my favourites, with apologies for any lack of accuracy, as I am quoting from memory:

John Lowe, approaches the oche like a snow leopard on the slopes of Mount Kilimanjoro

Alexander the Great cried salt tears when he conquered the known world at the age of 33, Eric Bristow's done it three times over and he's only 27

Fordham, sweating like a hippo in a power shower

He's not a donis he's the donis

You couldn't get more excitement in here if the King, Elvis Presley walked up to the bar and ordered a ham sandwich

They're all here tonight, even some lads in cardigans


No comments: