About Me

My photo
Hammersmith, London, United Kingdom
I'm a director of Maidenhead United Football Club. For ten seasons one of my roles at the club was to produce the match programme. The aim of this blog was to write football related articles for publication in the match programme. In particular I like to write about the representation of football in popular culture, specifically music, film/TV and literature. I also write about matches I attend which generally feature Maidenhead United.

Sunday 29 August 2010

House of Cards

Fantastic performance from the Magpies at Woking, reminiscent of the days when wins at Aldershot's Recreation ground were commonplace.  Plenty of pressure from the home team but the creativity came from Maidenhead, with Ashley Smith the star turn in the midfield, benefiting from selection in the pivotal midfield role behind the front two as Drax continues with his innovative attacking strategy to accommodate all of United's forward assets.  I get the feeling this could be a crucial season for Woking. They seem to have lost the impetus that almost won them promotion via the play offs last season, not to mention a couple of hundred supporters.  Despite the stories of financial strife in the Non League media I don't think we'll see a Weymouth style at Kingfield but they may well settle down to a strong mid table side at this level alongside former Conference counterparts Welling.

No comments: